- In June our physical education classes get outdoors as much as possible. We will be continuing our softball and t-ball units and end the year with a variety of outdoor activities. The Earl Grey Running Club has been well attended and the Gr. 4, 5, and 6 students who qualify will spend a morning at the annual Fit Run, June 5thm. at Assiniboine Park. With nearly 30 students expected to attend the event, this is one of our largest group of representatives ever! Congratulations to all of our runners! Running club members will compete against other students from all over the division. The Running Club is a great opportunity to increase fitness, make new friends, and learn the joys of both recreational jogging and competitive racing.
- The Gr. 5 – 8 Mini-Olympics was a great success. Team Japan claimed the championship with strong gold medal performances but also a complete team effort. Qualified students in Gr. 6 – 8 also received an invitation to attend the divisional track meet at the end of May. Earl Grey had its best showing ever at the Divisional Track Meet, bringing home 11 ribbons. Congratulations to all the athletes who represented Earl Grey School!
- The K-4 track and field day is scheduled for the afternoon of June 20 (weather permitting). It is a great opportunity for the students to participate in track and field themed events. They will have a great time learning and competing while enjoying the beautiful outdoors. Please remember to dress appropriately for the conditions. Running shoes are a necessity and hats and sunscreen are strongly recommended. Parents are welcome to join us that afternoon as well!
- I would also like to remind students and parents that although the weather outside is nice and sandals and flip-flops are comfortable, it is extremely important for students to wear good running shoes for gym classes – safety is the number one concern but, in addition, students wearing sandals tend to not put in as great an effort during class. Also, students are reminded that although it is likely that they are wearing shorts and t-shirts to school it is still important to have a change of clothes for gym class. Poor hygiene (such as smelly clothes) plays a big part in the way our peers perceive us.
- Finally, I would like to wish all students and parents a great summer vacation. Stay active, stay safe, and I look forward to seeing everyone again next year (even our Gr. 8 graduates who like to come back to visit).