Teaching Addition Math Facts With Go Fish!
This new twist on the old classic Go Fish helps kids to learn addition by mentally working out simple math problems. Each round played practices math facts for a specific number, making it easy to stick with one set of facts for as long as needed to solidify them in the players’ mind. All that’s needed to play this game is a standard deck of playing cards. It is best enjoyed with 2-4 players.
How to Play Go Fish!
- Sort through the deck to remove all cards that are higher than that featured number for the math game. For example, if the goal is to learn addition facts for the number seven, the game will be played with ones (aces) through sevens. (Jokers or Jacks can be 0)
- Deal out five cards to each player and place the remaining cards in a draw pile.
- Have each player look through his or her hand of cards to find any pairs that add up to the featured number and place them face up in their discard pile. For example, if learning addition facts for the number seven, appropriate pairs would be 6+1, 5+2 or 4+3. The 7 card would also be laid aside as a correct solution that doesn’t require a pair or add it to a zero 0.
- The person to the left of the dealer may now ask any other player for a card that will help create the sum required. If the person asked has the card in his hand, he must give it up to the player that made the request. (optional) A player can keep asking for cards until no further matches are able to be made, at which point he is told to Go Fish! from the draw pile and the next player takes a turn trying to make a match.
- If a player runs out of cards he can choose 3 more cards from the draw pile to stay in the game.
- Continue playing until all the cards in the deck have been matched into pairs. The player with the highest number of pairs at the end of the game is the winner.
Try one of these games online: pool creations uses multiplication and area, Bubble buster has you add to 20:
Our next Parent Council Meeting is on Wednesday, November 29 @ 6:15 in the Library. Come and get involved!
Only $300 to go!!!!!!
As part of our Save the Turtle Campaign, we will be holding two bake sales at the school but we need your help! We are asking for donations of nut free baking for each of the sales as well as some parent volunteers to help sort and plate the goodies. Volunteers would be needed starting at about 9:30 a.m. on the day of each sale. If you are able to help out and/or bring some baking, please email to let the office know which date you are available for.
Thursday, April 20th
Wednesday, April 26
Both bake sales will be held during morning recess from 10:15-10:30. Items will be priced at 50 cents each.
We still need $300 to reach our goal. Please help the school to SAVE THE TURTLE!!
Let us know if you can:
Send baking on April 20
Volunteer on April 20
Send baking on April 25
Volunteer on April 25
THANKS FOR YOU SUPPORT!!!!!!
If you love to:
- Read with children
- Work with books
If you are:
- an artist
- a mathematician
- an actor
Let us know! We would love to get you into our Classroom’s volunteering.
We have Volunteer Forms in the office ready to be picked up!