This week we focused on coding!
To start the day, our instant challenge was an unplugged coding challenge. There were tape puzzles on the floor and in groups of 3, we had to write a code to get through the puzzle. Then we each took turns being the “robot”, following the code to get through the puzzle.
This week’s successful learner trait is:
Then we learned a little bit about binary numbers and how they work. We watched this video:
We made a Flippy Do to help us read binary numbers.
After that we learned what ASCII code is. ASCII stands for American Standard Code for Information Interchange. It converts 128 English characters into Base 10 and Binary numbers. We only used the upper case characters and learned to write our names. Here’s a full ASCII table:
For the rest of the afternoon, we had choices for different coding centres:
- LightBot: moving a robot through a maze to help learn coding techniques
- Hopscotch: creating and editing games and step-by-step tutorials on coding
- Scratch: learning coding through a variety of projects, including but not limited to games
- org: learning coding through a variety of projects, including but not limited to games
- com: learning coding through a variety of projects, including but not limited to games
Next week is our last week! We will be doing personalized learning. We can’t wait to share all the amazing things we do!